A7C in C1-3 modes retains setting changes over power down - is this new?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheWintermute Regular Member • Posts: 121
A7C in C1-3 modes retains setting changes over power down - is this new?

Hello everyone!
Let me give a little background information to clarify what I'm talking about.

There are essentially two different way custom modes work on various cameras:

Option 1: Let's say you are in mode C1 and that has the shutter speed saved at 1/60. You change the shutter speed to 1/100, power the camera down, power it up, the shutter speed is still 1/100. You rotate the mode dial to any other position, then back to C1, the shutter speed is 1/60 again. Example of a camera that work this way: Nikon D610

Option 2: Same as before, but after the power down/ power up sequence the shutter speed immediately goes back to the saved value of 1/60. Examples of cameras that work like that: Panasonic G9, Nikon Z6.

Now, I don't have much experience with Sony cameras but, I think, when I got my A7C it worked in a way described in option 2.
Recently I updated my A7C to firmware V2.00. Today I noticed that it works like option 1 now, i.e, maintains my changes over power down and only goes back to saved settings after I rotate the mode dial.
Now, I'm not sure if this is something new that came with firmware V2.00 or if I'm just not remembering correctly how it worked before.
What is the typical behavior for Sony cameras historically?

P.S: I'm a fan of option 1 myself, so I was extremely happy when I discovered this behavior on my A7C earlier today.
Cheers.

Nikon D610 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow