The MF and APS-C "look" with wide to standard lenses

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AMSOS Contributing Member • Posts: 678
The MF and APS-C "look" with wide to standard lenses

I've been looking at the well-received Fuji MF system to see if I should get it for my uses. I do mostly street, travel, portraits, and occasionally landscapes. If I am shooting street stopped down (FF eq. f5.6-f11) with wide to standard lenses (FF eq. 28 mm to 50 mm), what differences should I expect to see in the "look" of Fuji X vs. Fuji MF?
I had read up on equivalence and other such stuff long ago. Looking around on the internet I see talk about differences between MF and crop sensors. I know that DOF can be equalised (within constraints) using faster lenses on Fuji X and other APS-C formats.
I'd appreciate your comments on the following points:
1- It seems MF (film/digital) has richer tonalities of colours. Does the same apply for B&W?
Is this due to the sensor size alone? Do the lenses have any effect on this?
Are these tonal differences a result of the physical characteristic of different formats?
2- It is common knowledge that the angle of view can be equalised between Fuji X or APS-C and MF.
So, using a wider angle lens on smaller crop formats gets the same angle of view. e.g., 64 mm on MF is equivalent to 33 mm on Fuji X.
But does the fact of using wider lenses on the Fuji X format have other constraints that show up in the look of the final image? I saw something about focus transitions being more apparent in MF.
3- Even with the same exposure on MF and X, will the MF photo look "richer" because it has more info on the sensor?
I am assuming it won't be noticeable on normal screens at standard viewing distances. But what about if I make 50 cms wide prints?
Thanks!

AMSOS's gear list:AMSOS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow