105 Macro: Focus stacking with focus breathing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aniltulsi
aniltulsi Regular Member • Posts: 495
105 Macro: Focus stacking with focus breathing

i have 105mm F-mount macro lens, and was happy with it for what I do. I am not much into macro work, so didn't wanted to invest in the Z-mount 105 MC, though it is a much better lens.

However, my problem started while experimenting with the focus stacking. Please see the pic below, that i clicked by stacking 100 pics.

I found that there is a ghosting around the flower. This could be for two reasons:

1. Focus breathing: the F-mount lens has huge focus breathing issue. The size of the object change a lot with the focus, which could create this ghosting.

2. Out of focus object: if an object is out of focus, the image does flows beyond the boundaries of the subject.

I understand that the Z-mount 105 MC don't focus breath, or is minimum. If the issue I am facing is due to the first reason, then moving to the Z-mount lens should solve the problem. But if the second reason is the issue, then it may not be fixed by the lens change, and would have to be fixed in post processing.

If anyone has the Z-mount 105 macro lens, have you seens similar ghosting in the image, in focus stacking?

Please see the top and left boundaries of the flower...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow