HIGH ISO COMPARISON: ** Z6 vs. Z7 ** (4,000 - 25,600) Real-World Setting

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
HIGH ISO COMPARISON: ** Z6 vs. Z7 ** (4,000 - 25,600) Real-World Setting

So at the request of a few, I did an informal comparison of the Z6 and Z7, at high-ISOs, in the real-world settings I see every day. (If not every day, several times a week).

The Subject is an Oak Tree:

Oak Tree (Areas 1, 2, and 3)

The area indicated by the red box is where I focused, and the three areas I am looking at expand outwards as follows:

1. Focused Areas (clarity, color, noise-in-shadows);
  2. Immediate Surrounding Areas (clarity, color, noise-in-shadows)
  3. Background Areas (smoothness, lack of noise).

I used the 800 FL ED + 1.25x TC (1000mm) + FTZ, alternately-placed on the Z6 & Z7, all mounted on RRS Tripod Legs + Wimberley Gimbal Head.

*** PLEASE WATCH FULL-SIZED @ 4K RESOLUTION ...

PART I:

Here is a video describing the full protocol:

Again, this video was taken @ FULL-SIZE, zero adjustments. Compare the color, detail, and noise as we progressively-increase ISOs ...

PART II:

Moving on from full-sized images, another claim is that "if you resize the Z7 images down to Z6 dimensions," then everything becomes equal.

Let's see if that's true 😃

Based upon this test, it is quite understandable why many folks claim down-sampling Z7 images "equalizes" everything to Z6 Quality. However, while I do see the improvement, I don't think this is entirely true. And Bill Claff's graphs also show the Z6's superiority, down-sampled to DX:

Z6 Superior to Z7, down-sampled to DX, OVER ISO 640

Link

Finally, there is the question as to which files post-process better? Remember, there are 3 Steps:

1. Original File Size
  2. Down-sampled =
  3. Re-Sampled, Fully-Processed to Usability (4K)

As the saying goes, "A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words"; well, a video is thousands of frames per minute. Watch the conclusion, and you can be the judge:

PART III:

This video compares the fully-processed images, all prepared the same in Lightroom, all receiving the same treatment (Action) in Photoshop:

This will conclude my review, based on my intimate (multi-year, tens-of-thousands of images) "opinion and conclusion" on this subject.

Many people say, "I have no dog in this fight."
Me? All my dogs are in this fight, I own both 😄

I own, enjoy, love, and utilize all these cameras daily ... but I know which cameras are superior, under which contexts. It's not a mystery, the information is already out there.
So, if anyone tells you that "the Z7 is = to the Z6 @ high-ISOs, 'down-sampled,' " you can confidently tell them that they are mistaken.

You may download all files here.

Cheers, and thanks for reading and viewing ...

Jack

-- hide signature --

Please forgive: I use voice text, so there may be typos. Hopefully it still makes sense
~
Blog
Facebook
Flickr

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow