Lens skin vs Lens coat, 150-400 etc

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoanKauai
JoanKauai Regular Member • Posts: 299
Lens skin vs Lens coat, 150-400 etc

Just a note to follow up on some previous threads about lens covers. I purchased a lens coat from LensCoat.com about a year ago for my then brand new 150-400. It's a neoprene cover like the material on wetsuits. I found it didn't fit particularly well and Carol Darby reported that her cover got water logged in a rainstorm. Another forum contributor whose name I can't recall suggested a lens skin at Alphagvrd.com and I've now tried this out. This note is to show how well the skin works.

The product arrives in a small tube with three sheets of 3M Wrap Film Series 2080. The sheets have strips on them for applying to various places on the lens. The film is apparently what is used for placing racing stripes on cars and so forth. Anyway, here is a screen shot of what is on the three sheets.

Three sheets of Wrap Film containing strips to apply to lens

The guide for which strip goes where on the lens is below

I chose the color of Obsidian Black, but several camouflage and some decorative colors are also available. Here are four pictures of the lens, with and without the lens hood.

With hood

With hood

Without hood

Without hood

Applying all the strips to the lens makes for nice rainy weekend project. My opinion overall is that the lens skin looks much better than the lens coat and fits much better too. The lens skin also allows the lens cap to fit, whereas the lens cap must be forced over the lens coat. The strips supplied by Alphagvrd are are phenomenally accurate to the tiniest detail. The lens skin will protect against scratches and paint chips. But, the lens coat will give better protection from bumps because it is about a 1/8 inch coating of spongy neoprene. If you happen to own both as I do, the lens coat could be slid over the hood on top of the skin if a particularly rugged situation was expected. Finally, I should note that Alphagvrd has skins for lots of lens including almost all the Olympus lenses and some camera bodies too. One could outfit an entire photographic wardrobe in matching camouflage colors if desired  -- joan

-- hide signature --

joanroughgarden.smugmug.com

JoanKauai's gear list:JoanKauai's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow