Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Regret

Biggs23 wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Nikoni wrote:

I sold my D4 and D810 and was going to get D850 and Z7ii.

Ended up getting Z7ii and a couple of lenses, it is dark and gloomy in winter where I live, I can take a photo under ISO3200 and often higher and just realised that I have made a mistake because Z7ii ISO is nowhere near as good as D4,

What do you guys think of Z7ii ISO capability?

In addition to my other replies, can I also suggest looking into a good NR plug-in or software? I know what you're saying about the noise, but it's not a huge issue IMO, if you have the "right" NR software to handle it. I've been using DXO Photolab (but you can get PureRAW too) and have been very pleased with it. Others have used Topaz (I have that too, but feel DXO does a much better job at retaining detail).

If you're using just LR or ACR for NR, then that's part of the problem. I never found them to be anywhere near what DXO and Topaz can do (too much loss if you have to push NR sliders beyond about 20-30 points on the sliders. With DXO I can do some heavy NR with their DeepPRIME technology on a high ISO file like 3200 and still get very good results.

This is a great point, but it does neglect a potentially relevant concern: image volume. If the OP is only processing a few images, several software packages may yield great results. However, if he is processing thousands and thousands, additional workflow requirements may be impractical from a time perspective.

Yes true, but depending on the volume and the need to tweak for each image, I believe many programs can batch process, particularly if the images are similar (either in content and/or settings/scenario).

Batch process out JPEGs, eliminating the benefits of RAW?

I mean it may be possible to set some some basic parameters, such as low NR to minimize detail loss and I couldn't see this being any better or worse than trying to use LR or ACR to accomplish the same thing (syncing across multiple images).

Sounds significantly worse. Synching noise settings is incredibly fast and easy.

Applying any desired combination of parameter adjustments such as (merely examples) NR, sharpening, contrast, white-balance, saturation etc etc to any or even all files in a set and then batch exporting the results is made quite a trivial matter in DXO Photolab5.

Easy!

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow