Sharpness of Sony E 18-135 mm lens vs Zeiss 8.8-73.3 (24-200 FF) F2.8 lens in RX10 at the wide end

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photo-Boy New Member • Posts: 22
Sharpness of Sony E 18-135 mm lens vs Zeiss 8.8-73.3 (24-200 FF) F2.8 lens in RX10 at the wide end

I have been shooting with a Sony RX10 for a few years now and I am generally quite happy with its versatility, portability and image quality. However, the camera is starting to show its age and I am thinking of a replacement.

On paper, one of the obvious alternatives/upgrades is a Sony Alpha 6400 camera with an E 18-135 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens, which would give me a comparable range to the lens on the Sony RX10: 8.8-73.3 mm (24-200 mm full frame equivalent) F2.8. However, after looking at several hundred sample images with the 18-135 mm lens from the internet, I am getting the consistent impression that it performs quite a bit worse than the RX10 lens in terms of sharpness and chromatic aberrations at the wide end of the focal range. From what I have seen, it appears that from around 23 mm (35 mm full frame equivalent) upwards the 18-135 mm lens starts to perform comparably to the RX10 lens. However, at the moment I shoot more than a third of my images below 35 mm. This, coupled to the fact that the lens already starts at 27 mm full frame equivalent puts me off considerably. However, none of the above conclusions have been reached on the basis of direct side-by-side comparisons, as I have been unable to get my hands on a Sony APS-C camera with this lens.

I wanted to ask if anyone has been able to do direct comparisons of these two lenses at the wide end. Do you think that my impressions about the 18-135 mm lens are correct?

And a second question: considering that the 18-135 mm lens is considerably slower at most focal lengths (F3.5-5.6 vs F2.8) do you think I would still have a clear advantage in low light with a Sony A6400 + 18-135 mm lens vs the RX10?

I am aware of other advantages of larger sensor cameras, such as improved dynamic range, shallower depth of field, lens flexibility etc, which is why I am considering such options rather than a newer model of the RX10 series. While I might expand my lens arsenal at some point in the future, at the moment I need a single-lens all-around solution and I find the focal range of the RX10 very well suited to my typical needs, as long as the optical quality is good. I am also aware that right now there are no new Sony A6400 or other APS-C cameras on sale, but I assume that this should change at some point.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow