Image retention - What do you keep?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Len Philpot
Len Philpot Regular Member • Posts: 198
Image retention - What do you keep?

While this isn't a retouching question, per se, I figure the folks here are more likely as a group to be positioned to respond (i.e., fewer snap-shooters here).

I'm not a pro and compared to many I don't shoot a lot. But amateur or pro we still tend to accumulate a lot of images over time, relatively speaking. The absolute amount will vary but also so does the relative scope of our storage infrastructure.

So, do you keep everything - Every raw file from every shoot, all sidecar files, PS/GIMP files, TIFs, etc.? Or the raws / sidecars / TIFs of only what you process? Or somewhere in between? Maybe the raws of keepers plus those that ranked somewhere above trash but didn't make in into a finished image?

As indicated I'm neither a pro nor (at this point) really a heavily active amateur. I can count on one hand the number of old images I've gone back and re-processed. Still, after nearly 20 years shooting off and on, I'm starting to accumulate some data. I want to possibly cull it before the task gets too large (given it's by nature a manual job).

Any particular strategies?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Len Philpot
Retirement: 4th best thing to happen to me

Len Philpot's gear list:Len Philpot's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Topaz Adjust Topaz DeJPEG Topaz Detail +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow