How best to arrange updated storage on old system

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 472
How best to arrange updated storage on old system

I have a 5-6 year old Silver Lake system that I am upgrading.

Currently I've got two old spinning internal HDDs. One that's 2tb, with two partitions. One partition is for WIndows and programs, the other for everything else. The second (even older) drive is 500gb and was recently rescued from a family member's old computer. There's a third, 4tb external drive that's used for backups.

To all of that I'm adding a 1tb NVMe SSD.

The plan (so far) is to first make sure everything is backed up to the 4tb external and then put a fresh version of Windows and my programs on the new ssd. Next I'll put my LR and Capture One catalogs on the ssd. After that I'll format both the 2tb and 500gb HDDs without any partitions; use the 2tb drive for data storage and the 500gb drive as a PS scratch disk (and emergency storage should I need a space while waiting to receive a new storage drive). I'll continue using the 4tb external drive for backups.

The day's editing projects will also go on the ssd and once finished will be moved over to the 2tb drive.

This sounds logical and basic, but I sometimes have a tendency to overthink things and for all I know there's a better way to arrange this, so thought I'd ask.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow