Suggested Video Settings for Changing Light Conditions

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Todd Taylor Forum Member • Posts: 66
Suggested Video Settings for Changing Light Conditions

My main use for my Sony RX10 IV is for creating railroad videos and I've been quite pleased with the camera for this purpose. As a "video newbie", I'm looking for some advice on what settings I should use for recording movies in the early morning when ambient light is low and the train's headlights can play tricks on the camera's sensor.

As the video snippet below shows, shooting movies in "P" (program auto mode) and "AWB" (auto white balance) is not a good idea as the color temperature of the video shifts from gray to blue as the train's headlights play tricks on the camera's sensor:

WSOR T004 and CN MOW Visitor at Rugby Junction WI - YouTube

I'm looking for suggestions on movie-mode settings to produce the best movie quality I can get in challenging early-morning lighting conditions within the limitations of the camera:

• Exposure Mode: I've been using "P" (program auto mode) but perhaps should be using "S" (shutter priority)?  I have a hard time wrapping my brain around shutter speed when filming a video and have avoided using it as I have no idea what shutter speed to use, especially when I have very little time to setup the camera when a train is coming.
  • Metering Mode: Not sure what to use.  Currently using "Entire Screen Avg."
  • ISO:  Let the camera decide?  In low light conditions, I figure I can't be too picky about ISO settings.
  • DRO/Auto HDR:  Not sure what to use?  Does this setting matter for my use case?
  • White Balance: Setting to "cloudy" over "auto white balance" will hopefully resolve the color temp issue?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow