IBIS when using unstabilized lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Allan Brown
Allan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,115
Re: IBIS when using unstabilized lenses

Jouko wrote:

i haven't owned my G3 for years. sometimes it got out of focus pics using the 45-200, and those could have been shutter shock, i suppose. but while the lens wasn't one of the best when it comes to IQ, many of my pics with it were sharp.

are shutter speeds a contributing factor when it comes to shutter shock?

Of course shutter speed is the major variable for shutter shock. In most cases it seems that the speeds around 1/100 - 1/200 sec are most effected. Don't know about G3 specifically... And some lenses are more prone than the others, which seems a bit suprising.

But, a 200mm lens, 400 mm equal, is a long tele itself, and as one, needs more careful approach than wider lenses anyway. These IS /Ois etc things in our modern cameras do make a difference, allowing handhold shots with lenses I never thought to be handholdable (in film days) - and giving sharp results after that.

But the IS / OIS etc won't stop the world moving. If you try to get a sharp image of a flying bird or a running child at 1/125 sec, you won't get a sharp one... Maybe a good artistic one, but not a really sharp one. 1/1000 sec might be too slow too. Depends on the bird and the child.

So, if you got some sharp shots with the 45-200, the lens itself is a sharp one. The blurring is caused by other things - like wrong focus, too long shutter speed, other technical issues, user error...

Usually, shutter shock is the main culprit. Modern bodies with EFC or ES solves this issue. I am not totally convinced by Panasonic's "new" magnetic shutter release though.

I get great results from my 45-200 when I pair it with my EM5II.

Allan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow