Print adhesion to stiff backboard experience ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kumsa
Kumsa Contributing Member • Posts: 818
Print adhesion to stiff backboard experience ?

A question on adhering a print to backboard was posed under a different topic, and I think it deserves it's own thread. Before I get to comments, please note that I fully understand and accept that mounting directly onto a stiff backing, e.g., gatorboard, is not archival. I accept that limitation.

Here's my experience, in no particular order:

• The only adhesive canvas I've used is BreathingColor's Art Peel , which is surprisingly effective for simply placing a print on a solid surface.
  • I've tried to use liquid adhesives (Lineco) with really sloppy, lumpy results. I'm sure that there are ways to do it w/o any errors, but I couldn't master it.
  • For 13x19 and smaller, I've had wonderful success w/adhesive gatorboard.
  • For larger prints (17" is as wide as I go, but that includes very long panoramas), I use a spray adhesive, which has worked very well.
    • Spray adhesive can be tricky to keep very, very clean and off the surface of the print, and even the brayer.
    • Initial drying requires the application of weight, evenly distributed, over the print to ensure no opportunity for a bubble. For example, when applying a print to gatorboard, then after the print has been properly adhered, I'll place another piece of gatorboard on top with some weight.
  • If I could justify the expense, I'd be happy to use a dry mount for my prints. 

Highly recommended resource is https://www.thegrumble.com/

Kumsa's gear list:Kumsa's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow