Dilemma: get 300mm f4 or switch the system?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mzro Forum Member • Posts: 81
Dilemma: get 300mm f4 or switch the system?

Hey,
I have personal dilemma here and want to hear some reasonable advises please. I want a longer prime for my bird photography and really lusting for 300mm f4 pro with x1.4 TC. My main combo currently is E-M1X with Panaleica 200mm + 1.4x. The lens is awesome but I definitely feel I can use some more reach when I don't shoot from the hide.

So, getting a 300mm with teleconverter would be a right move for me...
but recently I had an opportunity to try Sony a9 II and it's autofocus speed and precision when shooting birds is so much better than E-M1X that I started to think - should I really invest $3.5k (that's a lot for me) into a new lens or should I sell my M43 gear and switch to different system? - sony or canon..

I really like plenty about E-M1X but not its AF - with all bells and whistles like bird eye AI and tracking (which barely works for me) - is clearly much inferior to AF in latest cameras from FF rivals.

Predicting the future - there's no hope that Panasonic G9 successor will have greatly improved DFD AF. E-M1X successor was rumored but no announcements so it may take year or two before it will be released (if it will be released). Should we expect that Olympus will release a new firmware for E-M1X that will improve AF? I'm pessimistic.

Mzro's gear list:Mzro's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8
Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow