Thoughts on the M11

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,283
Re: Thoughts on the M11

Swordman wrote:

What do you guys think of the upcoming M11?

So far, we know that it doesn’t have a removable bottom plate and it doesn’t use any brass. I feel those things are fundamental to the M experience.

One thing I would’ve like to have seen is a return to using sapphire crystal for the LCD screen, but I don’t think that’s ever coming back.

The lack of a removable bottom plate does cause concern. I had considered the removable bottom plate to be a somewhat sacrificial item, able to absorb blows, by sustaining dents in its relatively soft metal, and then being replaced, if deemed necessary. I am not in any hurry to add an M11, but if/when I do, it may seem more necessary to start using a leather half-case.

Brass is nice enough, from a tradition standpoint, and if painted black, has an attractive appearance as the paint wears, but as a relatively recent Leica M system shooter, after having crossed-over from Canon, and Nikon SLRs/DSLRs, other alloys are familiar enough. Some of the leaks have indicated that there is some brass, in at least one of the M11 variants.

I like sapphire glass on the LCD, but, I can understand why, in this touch-screen era, it is no longer used.

I can, of course, maintain a relationship with brass top and bottom plates, and a sapphire glass LCD, with the Monochrom Type 246, which I plan to keep, indefinitely, perhaps forever. The Black Chrome finish may not show brass, as readily, as it wears, but the black-painted brass bottom plate, as found on the M-P Type 240, can be obtained, as an accessory. I actually started M system shooting, with an M10, and then added a Monochrom 246, to take advantage of its feature set.

With both M10 and Type 246 bodies, I just might opt to skip the M11 generation, or, at least the first version(s). The only time I truly “needed” to upgrade camera bodies, was when several new features of the Canon 7D Mark II truly did increase my capabilities, and even increased safety, due to being able to work more quickly, in hazardous conditions, when working as a first responder, mostly at night.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Since 2018, Leica-M has been my “mirror-less” system. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +54 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow