Questions about OIS and wide focal lengths

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dkinny23 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Questions about OIS and wide focal lengths

As I round down my research and begin making a choice on which kit lens (18-55 f/2.8-4 vs 16-80 f/f) to get with my Fuji x-s10, these two general questions keep popping up into my head:

1) everyone keeps talking about how great the image stabilization is on the lenses. The X-s10 body comes with IBIS. So does the image stabilization on the lenses even matter? I’m unsure how it works - do they work in tandem? Does one image stabilization system take over and the other is there..there? Just trying to understand the mechanics of it all

2) I keep reading from multiple reviews that 16 mm is SOO much wider than 18 mm. This will be my first camera so excuse me if I’m just ignorant on the matter, but truly how much wider is 16 than 18? Doesn’t sound like much to me. What situations would 16 be so much more preferable than 18? Maybe if someone can show an example that may really help.

(Just a note that the purpose of this post isn’t to ask for comparison of those two kit lenses as I’ve already gotten an abundance of info on that from replies on my other posts. Mostly looking for general information on those matters and making sure I make the most informed decisions when purchasing my lenses)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow