Cautionary tale for those who consider for a new Sigma camera

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CamFiasco Junior Member • Posts: 48
Cautionary tale for those who consider for a new Sigma camera

Don't get me wrong, if I didnt want this camera I would not have bought it in the first place.

I was intrigued by the color scheme of Foveon sensor. And I did a reasonable amount of research before I finally pulled the trigger, so I'm aware if its limitation in terms of low lSO tolerance, slow processing time, and Raw file(X3F) software incompatibility, as well as very limited non-Sigma lens adaptabilities etc..

But I really wish I could have came across someone investigating this green noise issue for underexposure area for both indoor and outdoors. Essentially, If you have underexposure areas in your image, at times( although, not always) it comes back to green noise in random patterns. This applies to both natural and artificial lightings, but it's noticeably worst for articifial lightings( my theory only, is that artificial light waves does not arrive at the sensor parallel as sunlight would, relatively speaking, and therefore the three color layers of foveon will invariably receive different refractions)

But it really is a deal breaker for me. Because I'm unable to rely on it for any paid work that involves in night scenes, e.g. wedding receptions - it'll be especially embarrasing if the client decided to blow up the print for for house decorations ( I forgot to menion, it produces unnatural green halo flares to strong lightbulbs)

I hope anyone new or looking into venturing into a Foveon can make informed purchase, as this experiment costs me USD720( for the quattro, new) and USD495( 35mm f1.4 Art, used).

This is not a Foveon trashing thread, but I do hope people can point out these Foveon pitfalls, for the least of all Sigma staff could hear our voice and make improvement for the next generation of cameras.

EXIF: ISO 100 at F1.4 (sd quattro with 35mm f1.4 Art)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow