EOS R5 Jpegs vs RAW

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ali Senior Member • Posts: 1,752
Re: EOS R5 Jpegs vs RAW

CWaterston wrote:

I'm finding the jpegs out of the R5 to be all I need 95% of the time. Anyone else?

By default I'm shooting both CRAW and Jpegs, but I'm wondering whether I should just go jpeg in many circumstances...to save space.

I started shooting RAW back in early 2000s. In those early days I would either decide the default jpeg was fine, or edit the RAW and extract a new jpeg. In either case I would delete the RAW files to save space.

These days every time I look thru those old jpegs and notice issues with sharpness, exposure, noise, etc, I so regret having deleted the RAWs. Today's LR and other apps could probably do wonders with some of those older images.

Similarly RAW processing "in the future" may be able to improve above and beyond todays RAWs in ways jpegs may not be able to.

(I also threw away or lost some negatives from my film days... I regret that too!)

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ali
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow