Follow up on switching to FF

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bryanA9
bryanA9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,203
Follow up on switching to FF

Last year I switched from a Nikon D500 to my first mirrorless a Sony A6600 along with the new Tamron 150-500. Initialy I wasn’t impressed with this kit but after a year of working with it I was really liking it. This Summer I got to try the new Canon R5+RF 100-500 and fell in love with it but I couldn’t afford it. I did discover though that a FF with high max for cropping would give me more options then APS-C!. Given my present situation there really wasn’t any option to consider on a new body as a Sony A9 was $5500 here in Canada! So going used was the next thing to think about. I looked at the Sony A7 RIII(42 Mpx) but didn’t like the results I got after field testing it. Cutting to the chase I got a used A9 which included the Sony Grip for $2650(sold the A6600 and got some financial assistance) Nov.28. The other thing FF gives me is wider field of view at 150mm than on APS-C which is great for closer action and tracking it.

Less than 2 months on and I have some opinions on it.

- I stressed over it’s 24 max because it doesn’t have the cropping range but am ok with it now. I did consider the A7 RIV

- Ergonomics is definitely better than the A6600!. I tried the A9 without the grip and saving about 1 lb but have gone back to using it. Concerning the buttons on the A9 it seems a known issue that being flush on the body that it’s a problem and for this alone would consider the A9II. I tried Surgu glue but they fell off after awhile.

- Burst mode is great but not as good as I expected but it’s unquestionably better than the A6600 and I have more keepers!

- It takes time to figure out what to program buttons with but if you shoot action it’s the way to go. I have one in S mode with 1/2500 and ISO 6400 or 12800 depending and Zone mode. The other is a memory recall using A mode and ISO 6400/12800 depending and a default 1/2000 if light is good. This generally guarantees getting a shot properly exposed

- I find the switching between EVF/Monitor/Playback a little laggy/flaky

- I haven’t done any video to offer any views.

- This camera is some 4 yr. old but it’s tech still holds up and given the price difference I have no problems recommending it, especially because it’s used mostly with the electronic shutter mode.

- I have no problems navigating this older Sony menu system and those that do really need to get a grip /:

At this point the only improvement would be getting an A1 but relegate this to dreams of winning the lottery! But you know the best gear won’t take the pics for you, so you still need to get out in the field looking for the opportunities.

Do I have any regrets on the switch …… NO and no I'm not looking to convert anyone

Some eye candy ...

Sora

bryanA9's gear list:bryanA9's gear list
Sony a9 Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD
Nikon D500 Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow