Canon G620 (G550/G650/G620) printer: disappointed with the resolution

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP pulsar123 Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: G620 specification

BobKnDP wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Pixma Pro-200 (dye) printer: 4800 X 2400 DPI.

ImageProGraf Pro-1000 (pigment): 2400X 1200

G620 (dye): 1200 X 600.

No, the G620 prints up to 4800x1200 dpi. See, e.g., https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/megatank-inkjet-printers/all-megatank-inkjet-printers/pixma-g620.

As for parsing the rest of what the OP wrote, at a minimum it is not in the terminology normally used. The point is that the ink droplets used for 4800x1200 dpi printing are small enough not to be visible to a normal human naked eye. Indeed, the whole notion that we can simulate continuous color tone--at a minimum several hundred thousand discreet colors--with only 4, 5, 6, or even 11 colors of ink depends on this being true. And the common experience is, it is true.

Thanks for the correction. Looks like the other numbers are the Canon specs.

Assuming the OP's 1.72 micron pixel size is correct, the ink dots are roughly 20 microns in diameter, based on counting pixels in the image (11). About the same as a 1200DPI pitch. 66 steps across a 1.4mm image. Seems about right, from the image.

The individual dots may not be resolved by the eye, but the printer must use some strategy to avoid producing structure in light colored areas, where the dot density must be low. I presume that it's some sort of dithering scheme.

You didn't have to count the dots - in my OP I already provided accurate measurements, and the dot diameter is indeed 20 um (1200 dpi as I have noted).

I can clearly see fuzziness with my naked eye (which wasn't the case for professionally printed photos - hence my complaining), but I may be a special case. As I have a fairly strong shortsightedness, my sharp viewing distance is 10 cm - 2.5x shorter than for people with good vision, so I can see 2.5x smaller details.

But more important point is that many people  (like myself) buy printers not just for viewing, but as a backup archiving method - if something goes really wrong and all digital copies are lost, at least one can recover images by scanning old photos. For this use, G620 (and I am sure pretty much all non-pro inkjet printers) is not particularly good, because of the dithering mechanism  they use.

The printer is not actually much lower resolution than pro printers - as my head shot example below shows, once the scan is blurred enough (blur diameter of 0.1mm - 230 dpi), colors look pretty smooth. And perhaps as the photos age, ink diffusion will eventually result in a pro-like print quality

On a different topic - I had quite obvious tinting in my prints. I printed ~10 X-rite color targets yesterday, while changing the tint in the printer driver settings, and ended up getting almost perfect white balance for all grey patches after setting Magenta to -14 and Yellow to +4 (the total range for both: -50 to +50).

I wonder if this is normal? Ideally, I'd like to profile my printer (I already profile my monitor and camera), but not willing to shell out $500+ for a single calibration. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced online shop which does good calibrations (you print their target, mail it to them, they scan it and send you the icc file)? May be something in Canada, or US?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow