Re: Thoughts on the M11

SrMi wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

Foto1975 wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

Anyway, for those who aren't bothered by leaks here's the biggest one yet:

https://hmeye.wordpress.com/2022/01/08/leica-m11-full-specs-leak/?fbclid=IwAR2_VTJHu5X5ptb8aa9pZGx1yjlBGI9df90FNutk3XBalEo4yntWcVDUmTg

Woah. Only 530 grams in black! Amazing.

It must have the guts of Sigma fp L, which is about 400 grams, in a metal box, with the larger battery, and an optical view finder.

I really doubt that. The sensor's underlying silicon is likely the same, but the sensor's topping, shutter, processors, etc. are all different.

That is one possible hypothesis.

It is known that Leica has a Maestro series processor, and Sigma does not.

It is known that toppings are different as Leica must support vintage wide-angles very well, and Sigma does not.

It is known that Leica has a mechanical shutter, and Sigma fp-L does not.

Great points.

As to the Maestro processor, for all I care, the proof is in the pudding. And I prefer Sigma's pudding (color science).

True about supporting wides. That's a real killer for most other cameras (even the SL2 doesn't a great job wider than 35--but that's a fight we can have somewhere else). But the fp-L photos with "widish" M glass that I've seen on the web seem "good enough." No worse than any non-SL/SL2 camera. Certainly as good as the Nikon Z, which, except for a fix from Kolari, is the 2nd best in adapting M glass.

The electronic-only shutter can dramatically impact photographing movement, especially BIF. But again, proof is in the pudding. For everything else, I really like the Sigma.

I agree that the Sigma is a camel (horse designed by committee), and you either have to live with the limitations or not. But as to image quality, it really is impressive.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow