Allan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113
Re: 9-18mm or 12mm if I already have the 17mm 1.8

Alex_3980 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with the following lenses:

• 17mm F1.8
  • 14-42mm F3.5-5.6
  • 40-150mm F4-5.6

The last two are my starter kit lenses that I got with the body and recently I got the 17mm 1.8 because I wanted a prime lens "regular" (so not too wide) and fast and I'm in love with it.

Now I was thinking about getting another lens as wide as possible but I saw that the much wider we can get is the 9-18mm F4-5.6 or the 12mm F2 (among the zuiko not PRO).

Obviously the 9-18 is much wider and versatile but the IQ of the 12 should be better and it's faster.

So which one do you think is more worthy considering the other lenses that I have?

Thank you!

Like the others, I also recommend the 9-18. It gives very good image IQ and is the smallest UWA zoom.

Here is a shot from the 9-18 at 9mm processed in DXO Photo Lab.

Olympus M9-18  @9mm f5.6 DXO

Comparing it to the 12mm f2 is difficult. Yes, the 12mm is faster but for image IQ at 12mm stopped down to f5.6, I doubt that you could see the difference. If anything, the 9-18 may be slightly better. Others may not agree with this but it is my observation that at 12mm it is very good.

I looked into buying the 12mm f2 but bought the Panny 12mm f1.4 instead.

I have had my 9-18 for many years and, so far, I have had no problems with it - even after it got soaked with sea spray. Pretty good for a non-weather sealed lens.

Just make sure you get the micro-zuiko version and not the 4/3 version

Allan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow