Help choosing a suitable tripod (landscapes, Canon 5D)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: Help choosing a suitable tripod (landscapes, Canon 5D)

Henry Hunt wrote:

I've been struggling for a long time now (over a year) to choose the right tripod, without success, so I was hoping I could get some solid advice here and finally get it sorted. I'm a landscape photographer (not a professional, but still a "serious enthusiast") with a Canon 5D Mark IV, and EF 24-70 f/4 and EF 16-35 f/4 lenses. I also plan at some point to get an EF 70-200 f/4. For three years now I've been using the Manfrotto Befree travel tripod (MKBFRA4-BH) full-time, left over from my previous lighter 60D setup.

I'm used to taking the Befree whenever I go out with my camera, without a second thought. It goes on the side of my camera bag, I don't need to worry about it being too heavy to bring (it weighs 1.4kg), and I don't need to worry about having to carry it by hand. This means I can bring it without it being a hindrance. Since I'm a landscape photographer, I'm out walking/hiking with it a lot; and I also travel abroad for major photography trips about once a year.

So, what I'd most like is a really good travel tripod that I can use full-time. Is that a bad idea? I think it should be OK (I have, after all, been using the Befree with the 5D for 3 years without any showstopping issues), but I've seen enough opinions about travel tripods in general to give me some doubt.

My current favourite is the Gitzo Series 1 Traveler Kit (GK1545T-82TQD) at £539. Gitzo seems to be a very good bet if I want the highest quality possible. From a specs perspective it's exactly what I'm looking for. Perfect height with centre column down and just about as light as the Befree. My only question would be whether it will be sturdy enough. Since I'm spending a lot more money this time, I'm much more conscious about making sure it's the right choice. I could go up to the Series 2 (GK2545T-82QD, at £609) but that weighs more (1.84kg). I'm guessing that's what most would advise I do though?

What do you all think? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I'm also an enthusiast landscape photographer and do quite a lot of hiking so my needs are similar to yours.

I previously used a Benro Travel Angel - perfectly stable and similar weight to the manfroto. My only complaint was that it wasn't tall enough.

After much research, I eventually settled on the Gitzo Series 1 Traveller kit you mention as being the best weight/size/height combination for me personally. It's turned out to be an exellent purchase and I've been really pleased with it. My gear isn't as heavy as yours but if you've been using the Befree with the 5D without issue then I see no reason to think the Gitzo Series 1 wouldn't be sturdy enough for your needs.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Canon G7 X II Pentax K-3 Mark III +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow