R is way too expensive!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jason D Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: R is way too expensive!

spec68 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

spec68 wrote:

Jason D wrote:

Comparing to the existing product lines, including from other companies, setting the price of an entry level product line to $3000 is simply high. Well, there are people willing to pay whatever price on the sticker. I have no comment on that.

I’m confused - are you suggesting the R6 is an entry level body? If so that’s an absurd statement. It’s an intermediate body that many pros make use of. The RP is the entry model to the R line. It’s CA$1200.

The whole entry/intermediate/pro thing is nonsense anyway.

In my opinion entry level bodies need to have the best subject tracking AF and a minimum shutter speed, as entry level users are benefiting more than anyone from these kind of features.

And every photographer should know about exposure, however, the more expensive cameras are more forgiving when your settings aren't ideal. I don't see why a pro would need this more than an entry level user.

Entry level is the lowest cost model in a line. It doesn't necessary speak to quality or capability. I'd rather have a stripped BMW X3 than a top of the line RAV4.

Traditionally, with ILCs, as one goes up the price list the bodies get stronger bodies, more weather sealing, less plastic, and better build quality. Things someone using their camera daily and in the field need for their body to last and "pay for itself."

More expensive models are more forgiving about exposure because they have the newest sensors. Those can't be put in lower cost models until the R&D cost is recouped from sales in the higher cost models. That's basic math. Same w/ AF whose capabilities are tied to the processor in the body. I think you know why more precise exposure is more important to a pro who's photos will be sold, maybe enlarged, maybe published, vs an entry level shooter who's photos might go in the family photo album or just lost in a computer.

But none of that is to say an entry model is, by default, "junk." Heck, any model, regardless of price can be a turkey and not worth its price. An entry model has the capability to be a terrific product for its price category. I've seen tons of amazing pictures taken with D5300's and T7i's. But that doesn't mean they are suitable for, say, a SI photographer at the Olympics or World Series.

So, yes, the differences between entry, intermediate, and pro are real, not nonsense.

Well said!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow