Cant set and save Custom white balance in memory

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Fella Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: Cant set and save Custom white balance in memory

AlephNull wrote:

Fella wrote:

I'm pretty gobsmacked by this. I have the A7S3 and you can't set or even change what the custom WB was previously set to in any of the memory modes. So that means you can't even jump out to a non-memory mode, custom white balance and switch back to memory mode as it will still have the 3 custom white balances you set when you saved the custom memory mode in the first place, presumably at an entirely different time and place!
It's bizarre, we have this wonderful run and gun machine, which they've part crippled with this white balance nonsense. It's not even a new issue, Sony has seemingly made this a deliberate design choice for years. I mean someone must have programmed in the option to be able to choose which white balance mode you can set a memory mode to and then deliberately program out the custom white balance part of that! It must have taken more coding to exclude part of the white balance menu than to not have. Way to go Development Team!
You have to switch out of memory mode and hope you haven't overlooked some other camera setting which you'd previously carefully stored in a memory mode and shoot there if you want to be able to custom white balance.
The only other workaround I've found so far is to set a custom button to toggle Automatic White Balance Lock and then try and fill enough of your frame with a grey card in the light you want to measure and wait till the camera has settled and lock the white balance.
Why has Sony done this? My Nikon Z6 doesn't have this problem, I have a custom button assigned, which works in its memory mode and when pressed and held (if WB was already set to measure mode) takes and sets a custom white balance. Job done - unless you are mounted on a gimbal and have a USB C cable attached, in which case it just doesn't work...Why do they hate us?

When you switch into a memory mode, it sets the camera to what was memorised. That's the point.

You can override those settings (for example, if you memorised f/2.8, you can change the aperture to f/4), and the change will work. But if you move to another mode, and then back to the memory mode, then it re-sets the memorised settings - that's how it is meant to work. It lets you make a temporary change, and then revert to the memorised settings by rotating the dial to another setting and back. So your description of changing to another mode is exactly the wrong thing to do - when you switch back to the memory it will restore the settings, as it is meant to do.

If you want to change a memorised setting, then change it, and record it over the top of the previous setting. In other words, you repeat the step where you record the current state to one of the memories.

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?

I'm fine with it reverting to what you changed it to, although white balance is something that can be constantly changing and isn't suited to be set in stone the way it is. It's the fact that it is impossible to change the custom white balance when you are in any memory mode, they are greyed out and permanently set to what they were when you set that memory position up.
To change any of them, you'd have to switch out back to a non-memory setting, set your camera up exactly as you had it in the memory mode, capture a new white balance and save it to one of the custom WB positions and the save all of that back to your memory position. It's not practical at all. - Or am I missing something?
On my Nikon, I simply press and hold the white balance custom button (assuming I'd left it pointing to the custom white balance option) and it is then ready to measure white balance and save it to one of the custom white balance slots. That's as good a way of doing it as I could think of, Sony's is the worst. It renders the memory functions almost useless in any environment where you want to be able to take a custom white balance. it's a major dropped ball in an otherwise excellent camera.
And why can't you change your exposure mode either in memory mode, it's like they got so far with memory mode and thought, that'll do, can't be bothered finishing it off, we'll save the rest for a future camera.

-- hide signature --

Martin
www.martwilliams.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow