R is way too expensive!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jason D Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: R is way too expensive!

I think there are 2 key concepts that most people here don't realize.

The first one is the concept of product line. As I said in this reply https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65797443, individual products are divided into product lines. Don't confuse products with product lines. pricing are set to the product lines, not to the individual products. Comparing to the existing product lines, including from other companies, setting the price of an entry level product line to $3000 is simply high. Well, there are people willing to pay whatever price on the sticker. I have no comment on that.

The second one is the concepts of technology products. Some example of technology products are TVs, computers, cellphones, cameras and even cars. For technology products, they are not really paid to the new features, but the prices are set based on the product line and features are added to the product line so that they can be competitive. Every new version of the product comes out will have better features than the previous version, but the price doesn't go up and in some cases, the prices are actually trending down. For example, if you comparing the power of today's computers with computers from 10 years ago and pay based on the power, we all broke. The same applies to cellphones, TVs and etc.. Cameras should not be an exception from this general rule. So, it is expected newer and better cameras selling around the old price point. It is expected, at least for me, R6 has to have better sensor and better technologies, such as better focus system as many mentioned than the 6D2 and the price should be around the same. Certainly, this is the ideal case. It can be some small variance for many reasons.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow