New tripod for nature/wildlife photos and videos

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DNature
DNature Regular Member • Posts: 309
New tripod for nature/wildlife photos and videos

Hi,

I would like some help as I am looking for a new tripod to replace the ones I currently use. I like to take a lot of wildlife and nature videos, often of things low down such as plants and insects. However, my current two tripods don’t work when trying to shoot low down as the tripod won’t go low enough.

I also need a tripod that is study so it won’t move around but is compact enough and not too heavy so I can carry it around as I often walk long distances to get the shots I need with camera bags as well.

I currently use a Panasonic GH5 (hoping to get a GH6 when it comes out) and Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO and 60mm f/2.8 macro lenses.
The tripods I have now are a Calumet 7300 3 section which weighs just over 6lbs and it is light enough use but not sturdy enough, especially with the legs extended and is prone to wind shake.
My other tripod is a Calument 7800 3 section tripod that weights around 8lbs and has fatter and longer legs. It is sturdy due to its weight, and I have no issues with camera shake, but for me it is a bit too hard to carry around due to its size and weight, especially when I have to also carry my camera bags as well.

I use a Manfrotto 502 Fluid video Head with them. Can anyone suggest a good tripod? I would like to keep the Manfrotto head I use so would only need the legs without a head. My budget is under £300

DNature's gear list:DNature's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 600D Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +9 more
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow