Why do I have to iport files, why not open?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ryan Steel Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Why do I have to iport files, why not open?

dwight3 wrote:

Ryan Steel wrote:

v_ wrote:

I have been working on thousands of RAW images pretty much weekly/daily, I shoot wedding a lot. I keep my eyes open and I love to try one software and then the next in search of the best that would fit my workflow. LR has a lot of great features, C1 is also great and I like some features there and the colors a bit more, but the workflow is sooooooo awkward for me that I really can not comprehend. So, I return to Nikons RAW converter, that works in the fashion I understand, give great color, but lacks some features.

I have been working in the digital imaging industry for over a decades, I learned on PS 5.0 in1998, but I still can not understand the concept of importing in RAW converters. Can anyone tell me why do I have to import images first before I can start working on them? By importing the software makes complete, or partial copies of the files on the computer and with my workload it completely fills up C drive by default, or if I change the settings some other drives.

I might be a little too old fashioned and too linear thinker, but I often change computers I work on. I use a desktop in my studio, then I work some more at home on my laptops, if I want to start RAW editing in the studio, take the work with me and work on other computer, it is not an easy task and why do I have to get multiple copies, I take care of that to avoid data loss.

Please, someone shed some light on this issue!

Because developers are morons. The whole importation process in Lightroom, Capture One, etc. is ridiculous and implies that we are utterly incapable of managing our own files. I like to create my own folder structure and then work on the files I want to work on by double-clicking on them. Not by going through some arcane and inane importation process that feels like a holdover from the 1990s....

Bypassing the question of the moronic status of developers, the use of a folder structure to manage your files is a holdover from the 1980s.

Using a database to manage information has been around for decades. The database has distinct advantages over the folder structure for management, not the least of which is the ability to produce virtual copies of data for different groups of data (not limited to images). Importation is hardly arcane, and is essential to the way a database works. It's not rocket science (I can speak from experience here, having been involved in rocket science).

I suspect that your admission of being too old fashioned is pretty close to the mark. Current computer technology offers solutions to the problems you mention.

Seems to me that if these softwares are based on 1980s style file management, then it's the softwares that are old fashioned, not me.

-- hide signature --

“It’s better to give than to receive. Especially advice.”
– Mark Twain

Ryan Steel's gear list:Ryan Steel's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v_
v_
v_
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow