R is way too expensive!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jason D Regular Member • Posts: 324
R is way too expensive!

I went into a camera store on the last day of 2021 to look around. I have not visited any camera store since the pandemic.

What I noticed is that the R's are way too expensive comparing to their DSLR counter parts. The R6 body costs CAN$3200 while 6D2 cost CAN$1600. The R6 doesn't even have a top LCD and it feels like a 3 digit entry level Rebel in DSLR. A 5D4 body only costs CAN$3100. A R5 body is CAN$5000. I feel that the R's are twice as expensive and 1 level lower than the DSLR.

Also, the full frame DSLR kits normally come with F4 L lenses while the R kits come with those STM non L variable aperture cheap lenses.

In addition, the RF lenses are a lot more expensive than the EF lenses. I am aware that the IQ from RF lenses may be a little bit higher than the EF lenses. But does it worth to pay so much more? I am aware of the differences in the flange distances etc.. Does it really prevent the new RF technologies being applied to the the EF lenses?

Some people may say the tracking on the R's are better. Can we turn on the back screens of DSLR's to have the same function?

To me, at this point of time, paying a R at this price is a ripe off. Specially for people that don't use the cameras to make money. What do you think?

Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow