My K-S1 came back to life! Solenoid problem solved chemically.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874
My K-S1 came back to life! Solenoid problem solved chemically.

Dear all,

I have a K-S1 as backup camera. This camera run into the known problems regarding the solenoid.

I'm not a successful plumber and there is no company where I could place an order for a repair at a resonable price.

First, I thought my camera would be totally loss. I read about the theory that magnetism could be part of the problem in a way that the stronger magnets in the newer solenoids would magnetize the system and make it stop working.

I ordered a demagnetizer as it is used to magnetize or demagnetize screwdrivers - with no success. I ordered also a demagntizer from China which is used to demagnetize watches - also no success.

Next I remembered that I had a spray bottle with a cleaning/decorrosion fluid used to bring back old potentiometers of HiFi amplifiers to life. I once used it to make an old Onkio amplifier working properly, again. Thus, I took this bottle and sprayed just one shot below and one shot above the bolt inside the mirrorbox that controls the aperture bolt of the lens. There is an opening that allows the movement of the blot - and this mechanism is driven by the faulty solenoid and into this gap I placed the shot through.

My shots were to strong and thus, the fluid came out of the camera (battery box) - and the monitor was effected with strange patterns looking like if there were water spots inside. Fine mess!

I did the procedure outside as the fluid is not so healthy. I put the camera into the sun and thought I killed it completely.

A few hours lately everything looked fine - and the camera worked fine, again.

This was the product I was using:

http://www.kontaktchemie.com/koc/KOCproductdetail.csp?division=&product=TUNER%20600&ilang=all&plang=all

It is known as a contact spray and cleaning spray for electronics that leaves no residues and does not harm plastics. The main part of it is pentane, which is very fluid and soon gone in gas phase.

The camera still works fine and I made a nice series of moss in my garden, today.

I can't give a clear recommendation, as I don't know if the state of my camera will last and as without opening the camera seems to be a matter of luck if you hit the solenoid with it (the spray shot). However, if you have an old camera with solenoid problem you are about to make it a dust collector or throw it away it may be a good idea to get this spray and give it a try.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
Pentax K-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow