Basic non-basic editor for 4K

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP GI Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: Basic non-basic editor for 4K

NickZ2016 wrote:

Colour grading is the whole gamut.

Think of two extremes.

Wildlife video for a science project. You want everything 100% real life.

Hollywood movie with a certain colour palate for whatever reason. Maybe a horror movie would want a dark dingy video. A fluffy kids movie might want a bright one.

I don't remember but what are you working with? What kind of video files from what camera?

Canon 90D. mp4. 4K.

I do short (~15sec to 1 min) clips for stock. Table-top, studio lights.

In the Resolve project settings click color (Gear wheel bottom right of your screen) click color management. Then set color science to Davinci YRGB color managed.

If your clips have the right metadata they'll automatically correct to real life or natural look. If they don't (Most non Raw won't) select the clip in the media pool. Right click and go to input color space and select the one that matches.

No, it does not look like metadata for Canon 90D files includes color space. Lightroom shows exposure, ISO and lens info from metadata. Resolve does not show that but shows framerate, resolution and codec.

The camera is set to AdobeRGB. This is immaterial for stills as I shoot RAW. I am actually not sure what color space Canon uses for video files.

The above gives you a starting point. If you're looking for realistic output it might be all you need. If you're at the other end and are hoping for a certain style you can now start changing things .

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow