Basic non-basic editor for 4K

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP GI Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: Basic non-basic editor for 4K

Off The Mark wrote:

At some point you are going to have to accept the fact that working with video is different (and a lot more complex) than working with still photos.

Well, that already happened sometime ago.

If the ONLY thing you want to do is just color grade a video clip (i.e., change exposures, change color temp and tint, change saturation), then Resolve probably isn't the right program for you.

The problem is, there ISN'T a right program for ONLY color grading that I know of. Or at least, we don't know of one.

Yes, you CAN color grade in Resolve with a lot of control over the look of your video clips.

But you are going to have to learn at least some of the basics of working with video and timelines.

Also, even if you were to focus your attention ONLY on the Color Page in resolve, it is going to be a lot like learning ancient Latin compared to something like using the sliders in lightroom. There are some simple adjustments that are analogous to Lightroom sliders but almost certainly you are going to want to use the more subtle controls in Resolve as well.

I think I mentioned in a different thread that I do table-top videos. I completely control the light. Thus I do not have to deal with widely-changing lighting conditions. Even with that, I still need to process the clips depending on the subject matter and the specific lighting scheme, ex open the shadows, increase/decrease contrast, etc. I just cannot get it 100% right in-camera.

I need to produce professional-quality output. No special effects, no creative filters, just clean usable stock clips. So far my editor had been very happy with the 1080 results. But I need to move to 4K.

Video clips tend to be a lot more "fragile" than RAW stills, so making broad strokes with temp / tint / contrast / saturation can often go south really quickly.

This is exactly my fear at this point. After my limited play with Resolve, I see a gazillion of settings and parameters to control, where I have no idea what they mean. Is it OK to leave them at defaults or doing so would ruin the clip somewhere not obvious? (that's a rhetorical question).

I will learn Resolve if that's what it takes.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow