Basic non-basic editor for 4K

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP GI Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: Basic non-basic editor for 4K

StoneJack wrote:

GI wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for an editor for 4K clips.

On one hand it needs to do very basic things: import/export 4K, work on one clip at a time, trim. Cropping, tilting, fast forward, slow motion, combining clips, transitions, etc would be nice but not required.

On the other hand I need to do color (temp/tint) and exposure (exposure, contrast, curves) adjustments while looking at the histogram.

I got a hang of using Lightroom in that purpose, it is actually a fairly quick and efficient workflow for what I need. No timeline, no ingestion, no library, no project file that would contain a copy of the clip. The problem is that Lightroom does not export 4K, only FHD.

I looked at Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro, both will do what I want, but they looked to be an overkill and require climbing a steep learning curve. Premiere Elements does not have histograms.

I am on a Mac and I hate iMovie.

Any recommendations? Free is not a per-requisite, but a trial period before paying is.

GI

Even if you hate iMovie, I think you can overcome your hate for a simple task of grading a clip for few minutes.

Apologies for a belated reply. We had no internet for several days.

I've been using iMovie for about 10 years. It is great for putting together films like "Our Mexico Vacation 2021" and as such. Family and friends love those.

For professional output (stock here), I need more consistent (clip-to-clip), precise and deterministic exposure and color control. iMovie sliders lack any numerical values. The whole workflow (clips/events/etc) is horrendous. There's no histogram. I can not rely on my eyes and a (calibrated) monitor to reliably tell if my whites are blown or blacks are clipped.

Please help me with terminology here. Is "color grading" in video the same as color correction (temperature and tint) in stills (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc)?

GI

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow