Tokitaro Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: GF 35-70 front focusing issue documented

JimKasson wrote:

MF ratios wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Zorki-6 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Zorki-6 wrote:

Thanks to Jim for confirming that the issue seems related to a faulty batch, as I'll now be back on to Fujifilm for yet another replacement.

Here's a video and a couple frames demonstrating the problem that I and a few others are experiencing (hopefully this will help people identify if their lens is a bad copy):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvMPAUcpuZprTjQHi0d88OQ32Dy4bNb4/view?usp=sharing

AF - c. 3-4cm front focus close to MFD at 70mm

AF + MF (manually focused to account for front focus)

This isn't rigorous but it'll do, as it shows that the problem occurs consistently and that it isn't user error. I don't have a single correctly focused frame from this lens or the copy I had before it when using AF close to the MFD. The problem presents the same on the 50S II, 100S and 50R. If you do find that your 35-70 is front focusing, it might be useful to share your region and whether you bought it as part of the 50S II kit.

First copy of 35-70 - seemingly identical amount of front focus

When I do ramp AF testing, I have a portion of the target orthogonal to the lens axis, and that's where I focus. If you ask a camera to AF on a ramp, the results are usually not what you'd get if you use manual focusing.

It's harder to get the ramp/orthogonal setup aligned as you get closer, so I don't use it at distances akin to the 35-70 MFD.

I've no doubt the methodology is imperfect but the result consistently replicates what I'm seeing out in the wild, 3-4cm front focus using those parameters. The 80mm and 120mm are also able to AF perfectly on that target.

I'm very familiar with this issue because I spent a couple weeks working on a project that required the decent close focusing offered by the 35-70. I had to resort to AF + MF to compensate for the front focus every single shot, but my main frustration was that the front focus was more consistent than the MF behaviour. In the end I dropped £2500 on the 120 and didn't look back.

I'm confident that a good copy of the 35-70 will be a very capable lens, notwithstanding some flare and halos wide open. Your testing should hopefully confirm that.

I can certainly confirm the flare wide open and up close.

I got a 35-70mm from the kit batch and have the same issue. The firmware version is 1.00. Any chance that Jim has one with a version 1.10 or higher? That would give some hope for a futur release to fix this.

My 35-70 is FW 1.0.

Thanks. Back to Fujifilm yet again. There are no parts for the 35-70 in Poland and maybe the whole of Europe so I'm not sure how they'll handle this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow