G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
PowerMike G5 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

S_L wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

The devil is in the details here perhaps more than with most issues.

Yes, the lens cap is a total PITA and like all the (many) G1X3 owners in my community, I immediately removed it and replaced it with a filter.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It is exactly what I am looking for

One more silly question, if one carries the camera around with filter instead of the lens cap, does it mean he needs to carry a lens cloth to clean the filter glass quickly before using the camera?

It seems logical as the lens cap will do a better job preventing dust sticking on glass surface but I am new to all these.

You do not want to use use a UV filter since the lens already has plenty of coatings that address this (and much more.)

Ian is correct that some filters can cause a (very minimal anyway) loss of IQ. What I do on all my lenses is use a super high-quality clear filter (watch out for fakes though), in this case I just looked at my records for you and it was the Marumi 37mm EXUS Lens Protect Filter. It works perfect on the X3.

The UV filter is bought so it´s a bit too late, but thank you for introducing another made in Japan filter brand to me. I bought the Hoya filter because it was mentioned by a few G1X Mk III owners here and is not made in China.

By doing some additional reading on the website, it seems the UV filter should not have much negative impact to the photo quality and probably render itself as a clear glass filter as modern digital cameras already have good built-in UV filter quality.

And BTW it does not touch the lens. Be careful to tighten your filter "just snug" though, as it's easy to overtighten those puppies.

Got it!

I too, like many users, use a UV lens filter on the camera permanently.  I do still use the lens cap, but it clips onto the filter threads of the filter just fine.

There has been no quality difference with using the filter vs not, so that's been good.  It's been convenient to walk around during vacations (when that was a thing haha) and just keep the lens cap off.

I do have a lens cleaning microfiber cloth in my bag with me, which usually comes with me when I am out with the camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow