G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
S_L
S_L Junior Member • Posts: 40
G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

I have searched and read as much as I could find here online for the possibility of using UV filter to replace lens cap for G1X Mk III.

Answers have been anything from "no problem at all" to "using it sparingly" to "shady/confusing Canon official replies" to "a straight NO" from the members here.

That I got myself the camera lately and really want the convenience of having no lens cap, I just pulled the trigger and got the Hoya UV lens (see below) .

As some of you mentioned the "paper test", does it mean putting a small piece of paper on the lens, screwed on the filter and see if the paper moves in-between, in order to made sure the two pieces of glasses are not touching?

I did that first with a piece of normal A4 paper and got freaked out when the paper "stuck" between the lens and filter. Then, I tried again with a thin baking baker and the paper moved between the lens and filter with no problem at all (see the two camera photos below).

Does this mean the camera passed the test and the camera-plus-UVfilter-byebye-lens-cap combo is good to go?

Would some experienced members who have tried or discussed this in the past be kind and give some advice/"user experience" update?

Thanks a lot!

S_L's gear list:S_L's gear list
Canon G1 X III
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
S_L
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow