Current PC computing power compared with early 60s mainframe

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594
Re: 10 year span comparison more relevant

rb0321 wrote:

Part of the problem is that upper management at IBM was pretty much guys who had worked their way up through the mainframe ranks. IBM always promoted from within in those days and I remember my father being very proud of that. Unfortunately, it was like a type of 'inbreeding' which seemed to cloud their vision of the future through lack of diversity. They couldn't comprehend the possibility that IBM mainframes would not reign supreme. I'm sure some younger folks must have seen the writing on the wall but they didn't have the voice to be heard.

At the time there was IBM and there was the BUNCH,  Burroughs, Unisys, NCR, Control Data and Honeywell.  IBM was bigger than the BUNCH combined.

I'd guess it was like a liner looking at the Kitty Hawk and just seeing a curiosity.

The money was in hardware and systems.

The shame was that Bill Gates got his hands on computing (640k, really!! where was the vision)  and lacked the discipline to do anything much more than brilliant marketing.  IBM had the capacity to have pushed small systems ahead by 10 years, providing they too did not try to create their own weird standards at that end of technology.

Still, pip b:=a:*.* was a bit weird (that's a bit of CP/M to the younger folk)

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow