Unable to reliably use manual focus with 35-70 on GFX 100S

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tokitaro Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Unable to reliably use manual focus with 35-70 on GFX 100S

JimKasson wrote:

In the three days that I've had the lens, I've been unable to reliably achieve critical focus using manual focusing with the 35-70 GF on the GFX 100S. I thought maybe it was a firmware issue, so this morning I upgraded the FW in the GFX 100S to 1.21. No change.

The symptoms are that the focusing ring is extremely sensitive -- even worse than the usual GFX sensitivity -- and that the focus plane appears to move in discrete steps, rather than pseudo-continuously.

Anybody else having this problem?

By the way, ever since I upgraded my Cambo Actus to the micro-adjust focusing mechanism, I've been acutely aware at what a poor substitute just about any FBW arrangement is compared to a long-throw helicoid or a dual-speed mechanical focusing knob.

Jim

I'm forced to use MF as I have a copy of the 35-70 lens that can't autofocus when close focusing. I keep being told to hold on to it because mirrorless lenses can't front focus and it will be fixed with firmware, but in the meantime the FBW implementation is a big frustration for the reason you've mentioned here, and I'm just not enjoying using the lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow