For about the same price..RF 70-200mm F/4 or EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS iii ?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
KEG
KEG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,185
Re: For about the same price..RF 70-200mm F/4 or EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS iii ?

Bigger wrote:

Roman Dreyer wrote:

Second reason, I think EF lenses will decline eventually and it is better to sell them when they worth the most.

If you believe in rational free markets, then future obsolescence should already be priced in, and that should not affect your decision.

On the original question, I would not acquire an EF lens to adapt to RF, without a really good reason.

I bought my 70-300L this spring for the following reasons:

1. works with my Rs and Ms
  2. I own the EF-RF control adapter
  3. covers bigger focal range than 70-200L f/4 and is only 2/3 of a stop slower at 200 mm (f/5)

It is also much faster than 100-400 and weatherproofed.

For example, you might want the extra sharpness and lower cost of an EF600/4 II vs. the RF version of the III. But you would be giving up the improved AF and IS of RF. There may be specific tradeoffs in the various 70-200 options, but in general get an RF version for the improved AF & IS.

If you already have the EF lens, then you may as well continue to use it, unless there is sufficient benefit to cover the conversion cost.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow