D7000 upgrade to D500 or Z7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Snapquacky Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: It's a decent choice ...

RazorSharpWO wrote:

Snapquacky wrote:

I know, I have managed with the D7000 below ISO3200 this long but I also crop 90% of the time and currently can’t go longer than the 300mm f4, I feel if I had 500mm Pf or better the Z6 would be the choice.

, But not the best choice. Keep in mind the Z7 only outperforms the Z6 under ISO 640. And that's DX or FX. Shooting birds using TC's, as you know, you're seldom going to find yourself filling the frame. You're not even filling the frame using DX now, and if you look at your files, you're seldom going to be under ISO 640 — especially with a slower lens.

When I shoot the 400/2.8, in daylight, then I'm under ISO 640. But even here, the D500 beats the Z7, from base ISO all the way up, because I'm still cropping. Rarely, even with the 2.0 TC, do I fill the frame with the 400 mm when birding. (Larger birds, like waterfowl, sometimes.)

With the money you're spending to get the Z7, you could have got the Z6 II, saved $500, and benefited from the more modern Z AF — the Z6 II should be down the pipeline for the next firmware upgrade, gaining AF closer to the Z9.

Don’t say that! I figured factoring in the lack of AA filter on the Z7 by the time you put a 2x TC on the Z6 with only a 300f4 lens it would be stretching the possibilities of that lens. I feel there isn’t a right decision here

Your "feelings" contradict the facts. It's about assessing where you're usually going to be ISO-wise, framing wise, and selecting the best tool for the job. There actually are decisions which yield better results, or worse results, at high ISOs.

The Z7 is a fine camera, I own it. After having shot it from ISO 64 to ISO 10,000 — in comparison to every other camera you're interested in — I put the Z7 away, the moment I know I'm going to have to go over ISO 640 (although I can tolerate it up to ISO 1600). After that, I don't bother using it.

In fact, I don't use the Z7 on my telephoto lenses at all anymore. None of them. If I'm going to be needing a telephoto, below ISO 640, such as the 400/2.8, the D500 beats the Z7 all the way across the continuum. I already know going into it I'm going to be cropping.

I honestly use the Z7 for wide-angle lenses, macro lenses, and great F-Mount lenses, like the 105/1.4 E or 58/1.4 G, where I know I'm going to be at ISO 640 and below. That's where the Z7 really shines, not on telephoto lenses shooting birds.

All the stuff is up there in the graphs, in the specs, it is not just "my opinion."

Anyway, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, bro, but I am surprised at your decision. However, it is your decision to make, so good luck and good shooting!

Ok, ok, please don't feel like I haven't been taking all this onboard. I decided to pass on DSLR's and only go with mirrorless so that only leaves me with Z6 and Z7. If I am using these both with 300f4 and TC's only, initially at least and often reach limited, would you still pick the Z6 or Z6ii. I was hopeful the Z7 would work up to ISO3200 at least depending on how much the frame is filled.

I might still be able to switch the order to Z6, maybe, or of course Z6ii, for reference in the UK the Z7 is £1500, Z6 £1100 and Z6ii £1600

Thanks
Andy

Snapquacky's gear list:Snapquacky's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow