Lens and Sensor Resolution

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 13,654
Re: Lens and Sensor Resolution

John Carson wrote:

There is talk that the new Fuji sensor could be around 40 megapixels. I have the 18-55 mm and the 55-200 mm zooms. Does anyone know if they can resolve 40 megapixels, or would I need new lenses with greater resolving power?

I did a quick back of the envelope calculation.  Making the assumption that these lenses can fully resolve the 26 MP sensor they will resolve at least an equivalent of 32 MP on the 40 MP sensor.  If there is some design margin in these lenses which I expect there is quite a bit you are looking at up to 36 MP equivalent for the camera system.

Secondly the 40 MP sensor will cause a diffraction limit on lenses at f6.2.  All lenses lose resolution at less than f4 as most aberrations result from the light from the outer portion of a wide aperture.  So I expect 40 MP is more related to 8 K video than IQ for photography.  Bottom line - existing lenses on this sensor will produce more resolution than on the 26 MP sensor.  However, all lenses will have a diffraction limit at f6.2 because of the higher pixel density.

-- hide signature --

"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow