Lens and Sensor Resolution

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
GreatOceanSoftware
GreatOceanSoftware Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: Lens and Sensor Resolution

John Carson wrote:

There is talk that the new Fuji sensor could be around 40 megapixels. I have the 18-55 mm and the 55-200 mm zooms. Does anyone know if they can resolve 40 megapixels, or would I need new lenses with greater resolving power?

Hi John. It's not a matter of whether the lenses can resolve sufficiently, it's more about capturing the characteristics of your lenses. If you're happy with them now, you should be happy with them on the new higher resolution sensor.

I think of it this way... If I take a 35mm film photo with a favorite lens that happens to be less sharp in the corners (the "character" that I like), it doesn't matter if I scan the film at 1000 dpi or 2000 dpi. The same percentage of "less sharp" pixels in the corners is the same in both scans. It's the same image produced by the lens on the focal plane, only a higher pixel count.

Only if you hope to crop into the image more than you already do (and it would have to be an aggressive crop), could I see being disappointed with an older lens that may have been designed when such high-resolution sensors weren't envisioned. But I don't really think that's the case with the two you mention.

-- hide signature --

Randy

GreatOceanSoftware's gear list:GreatOceanSoftware's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow