D7000 upgrade to D500 or Z7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Snapquacky Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: The Z50

FrankG wrote:

Snapquacky wrote:

Well I am struggling to decide so tonight added a Z50 bundled with the FTZ to basket, £750 in the UK which basically means I get the currently out of stock FTZ and a Z50 for equivalent £500, I figure this will keep me amused in a 'mirrorless with D500 still quality' kind of way until the dust settles on my longer term body

Assume the FTZ's are available with these Z50's due to bundle, it solves at least one of my problems. Images I have seen from the Z50 with tele lenses and converters look impressive!

This gentleman knows how to handle one at least https://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvainmessier/

Further thought, I could even add a Z6 to the above and be covered for reach and low light, both on mirrorless, essentially a Z7 in DX crop mode and a Z6 for the same cost as a Z7...almost. This is sounding quite appealing in fact.

Let's see if I go through with the Z50 first

The Z50 is quite a nice little camera in some respects but also has some definite limitations, some of which are common to the rest of the existing Z series (exception will be the new Z9). Some of those limitations in the Z50 can be quite significant for wildlife and especially bird photography.

I also bought one a couple of years ago in order to dip my toes in the Z series but also because I needed a super lightweight backup camera for travel abroad. It's quite effective in good light and with types of subjects that present good AF target contrast at sufficiently close range - but not so good, in fact can even be useless, for cryptic or dull plumaged birds or mammals in not so good light, again especially if the target is a bit too small. I have sometimes found it useful as a lightweight alternative but often I find that it misses when a D500 would have instantly nailed focus dead-on.

Be aware that with the Z50 there is currently no bird eye detect AF (unlike the latest firmware iterations of the Z6 and Z7) and so far no indication from Nikon that it might get included on a later firmware update. In my opinion the Z50 has its uses bit in no way remotely competes with the D500 for birds at least.

Frank

Thank you Frank, appreciate the reply. I totally understand the Z50 is going to be limited for moving objects so to speak, interesting point you raise regarding focusing in average or low light. Maybe I am hoping too much for it to fill the DX gap until the Z500 appears.

Think I am back to the Z6 or Z7 again with my sensible hat on, I need to try and work out which of those two will keep me ticking over until Nikon release a mirrorless equivalent of the D500 or something between the current Z6/7 models and the Z9.

Will the Z7 be the do it all body until 2021/22 when next generation get released, or should I be going Z6, enjoying the low light capabilities but suffer on reach. So difficult to decide it really is.

Very useful information and I thank you for that

Snapquacky's gear list:Snapquacky's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow