LED lights that accept Balcar modifiers?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP GI Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: LED lights that accept Balcar modifiers?

tugwilson wrote:

GI wrote:

I've since done several unit conversion calculations and looks like I'd need 300-500W LED COB light. That does put me in the range of ~$1000.

More light than DigiBee's modeling light becomes even more imperative when I start playing with slow-motion, shooting fast processes at 120 fps. That will require shorter than 1/125 sec exposure times, as compared to 1/30 sec now.

I suppose at that price point having dedicated Bowens-style lightboxes, etc for the LED light can be justified as a relatively cheap addition.

Any experience with Godox VL300? Are they truly quiet enough for video's audio?

The VL300 has a good reputation and I'm sure the members of the forum who own one will be along soon to confirm that.

However you are paying for the ability to run off battery. Your application does not seem to need battery power in which case you might consider the Godox SL200II there's a detailed review of it here. One thing to note in that review is that it works very well with the NanLite FL-20G Fresnel l which is a very high quality Fresnel at a great price.

If you follow Ellis' advice "This is one of those times when you want a powerful light in a Fresnel spot with a stand alone 4x4 diffusion scrim to soften the light." The SL200II and the Nanlite Fresnel would work well.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, the plan is to use the video light only in a studio. So I will run it off AC power, not battery. So paying for an unneeded battery is not a good idea indeed.

However, SL200II is 200W, while VL300 is 300W. My current thinking is that I'd really need 300W, particularly when I'll shoot at 120 fps.

I do not foresee a need for a Fresnel at this point, but it is good to know where to get one when/if I need it.

GI

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow