Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,778
Re: Don't matter

CBR1100XX wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Processors have been auto overclocking for years and now AMD and Intel marketing people are touting there OC technologies. PBO, TAU, as well as motherboard auto overclocking and profiles all do one thing, they get enthusiasts excited. Then there are the synthetic benchmarks and the imitation real world benchmarks such as Puget Systems that let enthusiasts and potential byers have a guess at how the system may perform. You are correct that good water cooling helps squeeze a tiny bit more out of modern processors. If you look at the tests on Puget's web site, they are run with Noctua air coolers so the tests are not valid except on the systems that they make as there air cooled. My Ryzen 9 3950x runs the Puget benchmark faster possibly because of the water cooling or possibly because of my RAM choice and it could even be the use of multiple NVME drives to distribute the IO load. Water cooling is touted as making a bit difference and while it gets you a few percent on synthetic benchmarks, I feel the big benefit of water cooling over tower coolers is easy access to the motherboard when you want to change components. I wonder how many people purchase from Puget after being drawn to there site for the benchmarks.

Morris

The cooling probably isn't the issue they're running a decent noctua tower cooler and your 3950X stock actually runs cooler than my 3900X usually due to the binning and shouldn't get near the temps when they start to throttle.

Your RAM choice could be a big factor though since AMD ties the infinity fabric speeds to that and it also likes really low latency RAM. In the original test for 3rd gen Ryzen they're just using 2933 Mhz RAM. Faster is always better though the sweet spot for third gen is 3200-3600.

TAU especially can make a difference in real world applications. I'll use the i9-10900k since it's an easy one.

PL2 which is active during TAU is 250 watts.

PL1 is only 125 watts.

So if your workload is longer than the 56 seconds of TAU at stock settings you're now limited to half the power. You lose about 500MHz due to the efficiency not being so great at those higher levels. Since it's from 4.7 to 4.2GHz that's a little more than 10% which isn't game changing but it's enough to be noticable in a long import/export and a big help if you have tight deadlines.

I'm wondering why the video card is not doing the work for a long import or export.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow