Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,767
Re: Don't matter

CBR1100XX wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

CBR1100XX wrote:

1. Rambow wrote:

You will be happy either way, i prefer intel because they have less issues(historically) and there are more widely used. The new cpus will crush intel 6th gen, expect like 40-50% better performance in real life.

The components are fine, i am more interested in the $300 versus $600 motherboard.

For a photo editing computer, what does a $600 motherboard do that a $300 ones doesn't?

I'm just curious. The last motherboard that i bought was a $50 "mining" mb from gigabyte with "ultradurable" technology and it works great.

Granded, for power hungry components a higher quality mobo is needed, but does it really have to be $600 worth?

Much better power delivery is a big part of it for higher overclocking. Also more features like the number of M.2 slots, how fast the networking is, some include thunderbolt, etc.

You don't need a 600 dollar one especially with just a simple overclock. For 150-250 on AMD and a little higher for Intel that's where you need to look into the VRM performance for power delivery. On the cheapest end where you are it's even more important especially with a higher wattage CPU. There are some very solid cheap boards out there and others that are much more likely to have issues.

The real world performance difference of an overclocked CPU will not be noticeable in a photography workflow. Furthermore, odd things happen when you overclock or you are wondering if the OC is causing an odd issue. $300 can get you a lot nicer graphics card which will help with some processing software or it could be used for more storage, something that photographers always seem to need. I've been down the overclocking path and have stopped wasting time and money on it. My systems are always stable and blazing fast. Avoid bottom of he line motherboards, the mid tear in the $200 to $300 range are usually very stable.

Morris

I'm with you on the priorities and the rough price bracket for something with decent features and good quality but overclocking CPU's within certain limits has gotten a lot easier. Back what few years ago you were messing with the settings and validating it etc. but now they've gotten really good at regulating themselves. And Intel/AMD have tools to make it easier, or with Intel some board manufacturers just set it to essentially overclock as the stock setting. And fair 12th gen Intel is having that in the spec of the CPU itself even though it'll still be up to the board makers/OEM's to set it or not in the BIOS.

You can still dial everything in per core but with AMD and PBO or Intel and making TAU infinite if you have the power and cooling to make that work the CPU isn't likely to give you an issue and you'll get a nice bump especially with Intel and longer workloads. And in both these cases you're just raising the power limits but it's still able to monitor things and throttle if needed so the risks are a lot less than back in the day.

Processors have been auto overclocking for years and now AMD and Intel marketing people are touting there OC technologies. PBO, TAU, as well as motherboard auto overclocking and profiles all do one thing, they get enthusiasts excited. Then there are the synthetic benchmarks and the imitation real world benchmarks such as Puget Systems that let enthusiasts and potential byers have a guess at how the system may perform. You are correct that good water cooling helps squeeze a tiny bit more out of modern processors. If you look at the tests on Puget's web site, they are run with Noctua air coolers so the tests are not valid except on the systems that they make as there air cooled.  My Ryzen 9 3950x runs the Puget benchmark faster possibly because of the water cooling or possibly because of my RAM choice and it could even be the use of multiple NVME drives to distribute the IO load.  Water cooling is touted as making a bit difference and while it gets you a few percent on synthetic benchmarks, I feel the big benefit of water cooling over tower coolers is easy access to the motherboard when you want to change components.  I wonder how many people purchase from Puget after being drawn to there site for the benchmarks.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow