LED lights that accept Balcar modifiers?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP GI Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: LED lights that accept Balcar modifiers?

GI wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

The Nanlite Forza 500 puts out 29,440 lumens, and costs $1,300

I've not found a Nanlite source for the Lumens output but this site gives a figure of 46,613 Lumens which sounds more believable to me.

Most vido light manufacturers quote lux at set distances. I.E. they tell the user how much light will fall on their subject rather than how much light is emitted. Which seems to me to be a more useful metric.

Lux at a particular distance is determined both by the lumen output of the lamp, and the reflectors/modifiers being used. I can double the lux at a particular distance simply by switching to a reflector with a narrower beam spread. Unless both lights have modifiers that give the same pattern of light, lux at a particular distance is not the most useful of comparisons.

As to the Lumen rating of the Forza, I should have done a bit more research. There are conflicting claims out there.

Amazon's product page claims the Forza 500 puts out 46,613 lumens.

B&H's product page puts the Forza 500 output at 29,440 lumens.

As best as I can tell, neither the manufacturer's website nor the Forza 500 user manual mentions the lumen output.

At 6,000 lumens and 75W, the DigiBee's LED puts out 80 lumens per Watt. If the Forza was at the same efficiency, at 500W it would put out 40,000 lumens.

Typical LEDs tend to produce between 60 and 90 lumens per Watt. LEDs with high CRI ratings (like those used for video lights) tend to be on the lower end of the scale.

Thus, both the 46,613 claim (93 lumens/Watt) and the 29,440 claim (59 lumens per Watt) seem to be within the range of plausibility.

At this point I have no opinion on which claim is correct.

I've since done several unit conversion calculations and looks like I'd need 300-500W LED COB light. That does put me in the range of ~$1000.

More light than DigiBee's modeling light becomes even more imperative when I start playing with slow-motion, shooting fast processes at 120 fps. That will require shorter than 1/125 sec exposure times, as compared to 1/30 sec now.

I suppose at that price point having dedicated Bowens-style lightboxes, etc for the LED light can be justified as a relatively cheap addition.

Any experience with Godox VL300? Are they truly quiet enough for video's audio?

GI

I suppose I'd really need to head over to the Digital Video forum and start asking about 300-500 LED lights..

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
GI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow