FE SEL24-105 soft focus

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,503
Re: FE SEL24-105 soft focus

I have tremendously enjoyed reading the comments from all regarding about the FE 24-105mm f/4 G and "Focus Shift" when using "AF-S" (I have learned something about my lens). Although, I usually use AF-C and have not experienced focus shift.

Although, this thread made me start to think about other ways to deal with the concern (focus shift or soft focus).  I have three other lenses that could Handley provide a solution (with 105mm at f/8).

FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

SAL 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM + LA-EA3

Sal 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM + LA-EA3

In the next few days I plan to do a test with each lens set at 105mm, f/8 and AF-S and AF-C.  I will be looking to see if I can detect focus shift and compare sharpness (will be compared to my FE 24-105mm f/4 G).  Honestly, I have been extremely happy with my three older lenses and expect sharpness to be as good as I am able to can detect.  I have also been extremely happy with the focus speed and accuracy of my SSM lens with LA-EA3.

So, in the end with my other lenses I may find some Focus Shift using AF-S.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + G + GM Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a6500 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow