Do you have any regrets?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Somnambulist Squirrel Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Do you have any regrets?

I moved to a Fuji X-H1 from a Sony A7Rii. I loved the detail out of the Sony, but was constantly post processing EVERYTHING fairly heavily to get the looks I wanted, especially color. I thought the AF would be roughly comparable - it wasn't. The X-T4 should be way better than my X-H1 at tracking, though.

But my main reason for switching - less work in post and even (GASP!!) just using JPEGs - worked out exactly as I hoped. The files out of my X-H1 are beautiful, and when I work with the raw files, even in lightroom, I rarely adjust them other than to apply the appropriate film sim profile. I absolutely LOVE playing with film sim recipes, especially the various b+w options, that pop up on fujixweekly, and find the Fuji ergos much better for my use.

For much of my landscape shooting these days, I tend to stitch multiple telephoto shots into a larger image, so I can still get the detail that I like (that, honestly, no one but me would likely ever notice or even see). And I have been really impressed with the high ISO handling of the Fuji.

I think you would be very happy with the X-T4 if any of those things that mattered to me for my switch matter to you. If you LIKE doing tons of work in post, and/or if AF fast tracking really matters, consider the Sony. The lens selection is amazing, even at the low end, these days.

Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list:Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
jrk
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow