FE SEL24-105 soft focus

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,870
Re: FE SEL24-105 soft focus (or focus shift)
  • havoc315 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

William Curtindale wrote:

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I was not aware of a focus shift at higher f-stops and AF-S with the FE 24-105mm f/4 G.

I generally shoot between f/4 to f/6.1 with AF-C and don't experience focus shift. Although, what I now believe after reading through this thread is that if using AF-S with a higher f-stop setting I could experience a slight focus shift (with AF-S the lens focuses wide open and closes down for the exposure).

Depends on the camera model, and the lens. I don't have the SEL24105G, but I tried with the SEL55F18Z on the A7R4, and, in Aperture Drive in AF of Standard, the lens focuses stopped down in A mode and AF-S. With Focus Priority, it focuses wide open, and then stops down. Checking focus with magnified AF, the results did not look different, nor did they in shots. The OPs scenario may still be something that's a lens or camera firmware issue. Interested to see whether anything comes of the Sony support case.

Not all lenses suffer from focus shift. I don’t believe it’s an issue with the 55/1.8.

His battery test confirmed it’s definitely focus shift.

Oh, I know it's focus shift. My point was that focusing wide open and then stopping down is not the only option and not even the default on many models.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Sony Mavica FD-91 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow