FE SEL24-105 soft focus

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,503
Re: FE SEL24-105 soft focus (or focus shift)

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I was not aware of a focus shift at higher f-stops and AF-S with the FE 24-105mm f/4 G.

I generally shoot between f/4 to f/6.1 with AF-C and don't experience focus shift. Although, what I now believe after reading through this thread is that if using AF-S with a higher f-stop setting I could experience a slight focus shift (with AF-S the lens focuses wide open and closes down for the exposure).

While using AF-C the lens focuses and exposes the image at the chosen aperture (no shift). Although, an issue could arise when shooting in low light with AF-C and a closed down f-stop. I don't know for sure but expect in low light a closed down f-stop with AF-C my run into technical limitation for accurate focusing.

IMHO, in the end I believe the issue is not a soft lens at 150mm but a slight focus shift with AF-S and higher f-stop setting (solution may be eye-AF w/ AF-C).

Thanks to the OP for the thread and all the great information.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + G + GM Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a6500 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow